Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Bank Job / Maintenance Job

While working for CPP one of the places they took over  was the now closed Bank Centre a conglomeration of old Banks on forth street in Downtown Pittsburgh   turned into a shopping mall of high end
shoppes and a movie theater  with 23 stories of offices above .
It spanned  2 blocks of both Smithfield  St and forth street  and was at one time the wall street of Pittsburgh
They kept all the significant features and of course the vaults which some shops where located in.
Because I had to work with snakes and tattletales and fools for partners I always checked them out to see what they where in this case they where tattle tales and assholes who could not be trusted I said a couple things to get a reaction and right away I get a call from a supervisor so it told me I could not trust them .
Knowing this I just kept away from them as far as possible not some one to trust your backside little girls instead of men with balls. We had very few problems in the centre other than making sure homosexual activity was not going on in the mens room and the occasional drunk you showed the door from the disco club called the library . It was a nice place to guard inside and out of the elements.  One day while walking thru the mall  on my regular patrol the head of  Maintenance  Mike M. was working on an AC unit and off handed I mentioned I was graduating from Connelly Skill Center  with a Refrigeration Mechanics certificate in couple of weeks. Really he said where looking for a maintenance man to join our crew put an application in . I said sure in mean time Maurice knew I was graduating from school and looking for full time work in the refrigeration field and all these ass hole guard outfits have this rule they did not like you going to work at a place you guarded. Once again I told Maurice to screw off I was working maintenance  job not as guard for them .
In mean time I had a job interview at Suburban General Hospital now a rehab facility after is was downsized
arranged thru Connelly skill center for similar position as stationary engineer I was suppose to start at $ 5.00 and hour but when it came time to fill out the paper work the screw off in human resources said the job started at minimum wage as I was already making more as a  guard I told him to take a flying *&^ I was promised $5.00 an hour . With that I took the $6.00 an hour offer from The Bank Centre  and told Connelly job councilor how they tried ripping me off at Suburban General they took them off the list of places they referred students for jobs . Connely Skill centre no longer exists  due to poor way they ran that school as well.  Good thing I did not take the  hospital job I heard all kind of story's out of this place and relations they had with employees there. I never should have taken the job at the bank centre either ends up they where a bunch of back stabbers as well working for them. While I was busy doing things  Fred  the Cleaner and  Tom  and Joe they would be off premise shopping or drinking  and not doing there work then I would get blamed for work not completed. They also had this bitch of a union steward who thought she was queen bee for the cleaners one time I stopped the elevator car in transit and told her off and to go tell management I could care less If I lost my job. This point I had built up enough side work I did not need this job . She did and when management called me to office I told them everything going on and  if they did not get it stopped the place would be out of business in couple years exactly what happened. They said they could do nothing about it she was the union steward. Eventually she was fired for stealing when detectives caught  her stealing from offices in the building  and Fred and Tom I caught them red handed at Kaufman's dept store where I was working a detail for CPP who asked If I could come  back and  work part time for them while getting my business going they where hurting for help. I called one of the bank centres owners at home and told them what was going on and he called down to the bank centre and demanded to know where they where and when the phone was not answered they both got written up of course they where union so nothing happened in the end . There where some really nice people I worked with the night engineer and one of the cleaners the rest where mostly snakes and back stabbers.No wonder this place was always advertising for help.
But thats the way many of the employers who where union  shops played the game  and still to this day do.  You worked for 6 months then they always found a way to fire you before you became a union member and unions wonder why I have such a bad taste in my mouth for them. not for the individual hard working individual but for there management.  You can always tell these places when you read the want ads same position comes up twice a year to be filled.I learned to watch and never apply at a place like that in the future.


Because the unions had such a tight squeeze on  The Bank Centre and  they had so many bad employees  they could do nothing about and there was a very bad turn down in the economy  after the mills almost all closed and the place was expensive to keep maintained  they closed and sat empty for  well over a decade.
It now is the Library and offices for Point Park College 
Ironically after I stopped working for CPP I worked part time for McGlenon Detective Agency who had the original contract, for the Bank Centre a much better company to work for.

No comments:

Post a Comment